Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Kelli’s Wellness Challenge

I’ve been thinking about how I can contribute to the good of society while being a stay-at-home mom.  I know my first and foremost responsibility is to love, nurture, and teach my children – and I am so grateful for that role.  But I also think there are a lot of things I can do in our community.  I don’t know if I’ll go back and teach full time when my kids are all in school.  I absolutely loved it and miss it, so we’ll see…that’s another topic.  Recently I’ve come up with a great idea that I could totally do and would love to do.

Let me preface, at Nebo School District in Utah, where I taught for two years, they had a program called the “Healthy Lifestyle Challenge”.  All of the employees had a monthly wellness challenge (I believe they had a program for the students as well).  The challenges included things like:

  • Stop drinking sugary drinks like soda and other juices
  • Replace half of your grains with whole grains
  • Think positively
  • Exercise 30 minutes a day for at least 4 days each week
  • Etc

You were also rewarded if you continued with each goal after just one month.  The goals were not just directed at improving your physical health, but also your emotional wellbeing. 

It was totally voluntary, but if you were compliant with the month’s challenge you were put in the drawing for a pair of new running shoes and were given other rewards.  We were given water bottles, running shirts, pedometers, and a book called “The Culprit and the Cure ”.  I’m in the middle of this book right now and would highly recommend reading it.  It talks about how our lifestyle is the culprit behind America’s poor health and how transforming that lifestyle can be the cure.

0975882805

MY IDEA:

So anyway, back to my big idea.  I loved that our school district had this wellness program for us and I think all employers should consider something similar.  If your employees make changes toward a better lifestyle, employer’s insurance costs go down, employees are happier, and everything is better.  So my plan is that where ever we eventually settle down and start working (in like many, many years), I am going to volunteer to start a wellness program at either the local school district or maybe the hospital or where ever Jared works.  I could totally get donations for prizes and maybe organize a 5K race at the end of each year.  I can see it now.  It’ll be great!

Meanwhile, I have many years until we settle down, so I’ve decided that I’m going to start a wellness challenge on my blog!  I hope that you will join me! Each month I will post a new challenge.  Who knows, if I have enough participants, I will totally see if I can find donations for those of you who participate. 

While I’ve been reading “The Culprit and the Cure” I just keep thinking about how improving our health just takes little changes that make a big difference.  You don’t have to run a marathon to be in shape.  Research shows that 30-40 minutes of brisk walking can greatly improve your health if you were previously sedentary.  Every little bit helps!  In recent years, my mom started exercising every day.  She started out doing exercise videos and walking.  I remember her telling me one day, that her goal was to run one time around the track on the treadmill without walking.  Now she runs 3 miles a day.  I am so grateful for her example and also that she is working so hard because I know how beneficial exercise is and I want her to be around forever.  Let’s take the challenge and make a change toward a healthier lifestyle.

Watch for my first challenge and join with me!!

No comments: